Tuesday, June 3, 2008

SING OUT, LOUISE!


Several days ago I attended a performance of A CHORUS LINE which is playing downtown at the Music Center’s Ahmanson Theatre. As far as I could tell, there were no changes or updates in the show. The producers, thankfully, have left the classic Michael Bennett jewel in its original state. Certainly, the younger kids are not going to know who Gwen Verdon or Troy Donahue are [they are referenced in the musical], but alas, they will be greatly entertained and significantly touched.

Last night, I spoke to my nephew, Brian, who lives in Ohio, and he said he stayed away from seeing A CHORUS LINE because he thought the show was a typical ‘42nd Street Busby Berkeley’ kind of musical extravaganza. NO! NO! NO!

I saw the original Broadway production of A CHORUS LINE on New Year’s Eve 1975, a few months after it opened. I was mesmerized. Afterwards, my friend wasn’t feeling well so he went home. I stood in Times Square and rang in the New Year amidst the freezing wind. I was sick for three months with bronchitis!

No comments: