Tuesday, May 27, 2008

CYNICAL OLD BASTARD



I don’t want to become a ‘cynical old bastard,’ however, it truly is a daily challenge not to! Unfortunately, a creative person not only needs to produce [or create] but has to sell that product too. “Show business” -- it’s two words and a 2-step process, show and business. And dealing business can be vial, cut-throat, and fully stressful for the artist.

Fortunately, I am on staff of a magazine, however, I don’t know how these freelance writers survive. Most companies don’t pay for 2-4 months AFTER the piece is published and then it probably will take longer.

It is difficult to follow one’s heart and then come smack dab face-to-face with the reality of the business end of it. I deal with people every day in the business sense, but I haven’t quite figured out how to not let it affect me negatively ….

No comments: