Friday, May 23, 2008

PITCH, PITCH, BITCH, BITCH


I have yet another idea for a film [documentary]. It came to me late last night and it overtook me with excitement and elation. However, that feeling was soon squelched when reality sank in: to WHOM do I pitch it?

I mean, I don’t know anyone in ‘da biz.’ And just try and pitch an idea if you don’t know anyone. FORGET IT! I’ve been down that road many times and just recently as well. The iron door still exists. You can’t get in.

I’ve pitched, or at least tried to, a sitcom, several books, and one screenplay. I remember when my professional partner, Kelly and I wrote a wonderful sitcom several years ago and for nearly 10 years banged on doors, shot faxes, and raced emails to agents. One time we even called Marc Cherry, creator of Desperate Housewives, who was then a writer and producer on Golden Girls, just to get his advice. He was very nice and patient with us. When I told an established writer, an acquaintance of mine, about the sitcom, he replied strongly, “You can have all the greatest ideas in the world, but if you’re not Steven Spielberg pitching, forget it.”
Cold-calling is very rough. I can honestly say, though, I am very tenacious. I’m like a rotweiler; I won’t let go. I’m learning, in the prime of my years, that to make it happen I need to create it myself. You can't depend on others. . . .

No comments: